[lldp-devel] Receiving PDUs from neighbours but not sending any

Owen Dunn osd1000 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 12:23:28 UTC 2013

I have lldpad 0.9.43, as provided by Scientific Linux 6.3 (RHEL 6.3
clone).  I want to be able to use lldptool to read information in PDUs
being sent by the switch the Linux machine is connected to.

I can see that the switch is sending out PDUs using tcpdump, but if I set

 	lldptool -L -i eth2 adminstatus=rx

and then:

 	lldptool get-tlv -n -i eth0 -V 1

...I get no output.  If I enable transmitting my own PDUs with

 	lldptool -L -i eth2 adminstatus=rxtx

then I am told the neighbour's chassis ID as expected.

For various reasons I don't really want to send out my own LLDP PDUs, so
is it actually possible to configure lldpad only to receive, and not
transmit anything of its own?

(S)