[lldp-devel] Question on current lldpad Draft and OVS

Thomas-Mich Richter tmricht at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 15 07:44:06 UTC 2013

On 03/14/2013 11:44 PM, Paddu Krishnan (padkrish) wrote:
> Thanks John.
>
> Thomas,
> Are you targeting for any specific dates?
>
> Thanks,
> KP

Hi Paddu,

yes, I have finished EVB and ECP protocols for IEEE802.1 Qbg ratified
standard. I am now working on VDP protocol. First will be station/host
role (with mac-vid filter). Other filters and bridge role will be
implemented later.

I have no specific date in mind. Just working along with other tasks
in between.

Do you have any specific schedules or dates in mind. Would be good
to know any target deadlines.

Hope this helps.

> On 3/14/13 11:59 AM, "John Fastabend" <john.r.fastabend at intel.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/14/2013 11:26 AM, Paddu Krishnan (padkrish) wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am a lldpad newbie trying to run LLDP/EVB at the host side and
>>> integrate with the network (bridges running LLDP/EVB). I had some basic
>>> questions regarding this:
>>>

>>> 1) I saw from the website that the EVB implementation follows the D0
>>> standard. The current implementation seems to be D2.2, is there already
>>> any work in progress to support the latest Draft? Atleast from VDP
>>> perspective, there are more filters added. The current implementation
>>> seems to have the MAC-VID filter.
>>>

>> Yes, Thomas is working on adding this support.
>>

>>> 2) Was there any effort to integrate lldpad with OVS? I would guess it's
>>> possible to install each independently and can be made to work. But, i
>>> was wondering is there a single distribution that integrates both?
>>> Simple use case would be to when creating a virtual interface in OVS
>>> should trigger lldpad to announce its VDP capabilities to the upstream
>>> switch.
>>>

>> I've thought about getting lldpad to work with OVS but haven't got to
>> it yet. The problem is if the netdevice is bound to OVS then packets
>> will be consumed by the openvswitch module and not passed to the lldp
>> packet handler. On the RX side you could add some functionality to
>> OVS to pass the packet up the stack. On the TX side OVS is bypassed
>> this might be OK though.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

The last time I ask about Qbg support in OpenVswitch I got the answers
that this is not in plan. The current work around would be to configure
OVS to route Qbg packets to an external switch to to this work.
But this was some time last summer, it might of have changed.

--
Thomas Richter, Dept 3250, IBM LTC Boeblingen, Data Center Networking