[lldp-devel] Question on current lldpad Draft and OVS

John Fastabend john.r.fastabend at intel.com
Thu Mar 14 18:59:45 UTC 2013

On 3/14/2013 11:26 AM, Paddu Krishnan (padkrish) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a lldpad newbie trying to run LLDP/EVB at the host side and
> integrate with the network (bridges running LLDP/EVB). I had some basic
> questions regarding this:
>

> 1) I saw from the website that the EVB implementation follows the D0
> standard. The current implementation seems to be D2.2, is there already
> any work in progress to support the latest Draft? Atleast from VDP
> perspective, there are more filters added. The current implementation
> seems to have the MAC-VID filter.

Yes, Thomas is working on adding this support.

> 2) Was there any effort to integrate lldpad with OVS? I would guess it's
> possible to install each independently and can be made to work. But, i
> was wondering is there a single distribution that integrates both?
> Simple use case would be to when creating a virtual interface in OVS
> should trigger lldpad to announce its VDP capabilities to the upstream
> switch.

I've thought about getting lldpad to work with OVS but haven't got to
it yet. The problem is if the netdevice is bound to OVS then packets
will be consumed by the openvswitch module and not passed to the lldp
packet handler. On the RX side you could add some functionality to
OVS to pass the packet up the stack. On the TX side OVS is bypassed
this might be OK though.

Thanks,
John