[lldp-devel] VDP22 protocol support in lldpad

Thomas-Mich Richter tmricht at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 5 13:40:14 UTC 2013

Hi Paddu,

as promised before Easter, I send you some information on where we
are with the VDP protocol standard version.

Right now I have implemented EVB and ECP for the ratified standard.
They have been unit test with a simple test program using the
following setup:

I use 2 virtual machines, both running Fedora 18
1. One VM runs the lldpad and sends/receives EVB/ECP messages
2. The second VM runs the qbg22sim test program and basicly haves
   like a switch. The qbg22sim test program reads input files to
   determine the data to be send and received. It can also send
   out VDP protocol acknowledgements.
   This tool is very basic and used for unit testing. It can delay
   the ECP/VDP aknowledgements and return some VDP errors.
   It is not a switch replacement and is not suitable for complete
   system test.

   But it helps me to move forward. I you are interested I can send
   you more details about my unit test setup. It is not part of the
   git repository.

The next steps for VDP22 support is to add code for the station side.
The code will be triggered using the same netlink messages received
from libvirtd or vdptest tool.

Once this side is done, the next step would be to add VDP22 support
for the bridge side. When completed, we could replace the qbg22im
tool on the second VM by lldpad and watch both sides negotiate
the protocols.

This is my plan.  I can not commit any dates and progress will
be slow. I have been given some other assignment with higher priority.
I can not work on lldpad nor the next few months.

If you want to proceed and go ahead with the VDP22 host side,
I can give you some help and will cross-check your work.

Thanks
--
Thomas Richter, Dept 3250, IBM LTC Boeblingen, Data Center Networking